Sunday, June 12, 2011

Learning to give out love...

“The most important thing in life is to learn how to give out love, and let it come in.” ~Morrie Schwartz
Learning to give out love is has been one of the hardest lessons in my life…it seems SO easy but yet it is scary to give out love – what if who you are giving your love to doesn’t give it back or worse, what if they don’t want your love?
It has taken me 33 years to learn this, but getting love back isn’t the point of giving out your love.  The point of giving out your love isn’t to have people tell you thank you, or to have them give it back – when they do that is icing on the cake.  But the point of giving out your love has to be a selfless act.  You can’t expect them to return – you can only give it with an open and loving heart.
That is a big reason I created these postcards.  For me, writing down my love is MUCH easier than telling people in person.  I have time to gather my thoughts, feelings, emotions, etc and write them down verses trying to tell them in person and stumbling all over my words then leave feeling like a complete failure for messing up what I just tried to say to them…yes, I am still learning to give selfless love and acceptance to myself as well – that one might take me another few years. J
So try it, try to send out selfless love to people in your life without expecting anything back for them – it is my hope that all of us doing this will change us - will make it easier to love more openly to all people in our lives – even those we don’t actually know but just encounter.
“The honorary duty of a human being is to love” ~ Maya Angelou

No comments:

Post a Comment